Saturday, 20 August 2016

Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol & other such drugs

So today..being Saturday was another fun filled shift. Mainly full of what not to feed your dog!



Late last night we admitted a small terrier called 'Bramble' who had decided to pop some human pills - Ibuprofen! Wonderful, many people still don't know that human pain relief can be toxic to small animals. Therefore the warning 'keep out of reach of children' should really contain 'and animals'. Poor little Bramble then had the task of having to be sick and put on intravenous fluids overnight.


I might add today when I started my shift she was as bright as a button and repeat bloods showed no ill affects - however sometimes these don't show for days or weeks later. Anyway Bramble was now well on the way to recovery and so a discharge appointment was made. Phew I thought until....


A receptionist flew through the back (they tend to not move too quick unless something has kicked off) 'Nic you're going to love this one' - I highly doubt that, 'I have an owner on the phone whose just caught his dog eating some Naproxen.' So after I take over the phone call a brief conversation later it turns out 'Ted' the chocolate Labrador has taken a fancy to the owners Naproxin tablets, the owner can't be sure how many he's eaten but it was approximately 30mins ago. Come straight down I instruct, to which the owner informs me that he's just dropping off his children, so will have to then collect the dog and head back to us. I encounter this on a daily basis in practice, the owners that are that panicked that they ring you straight away however once you instruct them of the urgency of the situation they suddenly decide they must eat their dinner first or even do a complete Tescos shop (yes this really has happened.)


So its left that he will bring 'Ted' straight down.....perhaps in an hour!

Ted was so happy when he arrived, tail wagging, aren't I amazing kind of look. Until the vet instructs me to administer Apometic to make him sick. Oh 'Ted' I say, you're not going to be wagging in approx. 15mins. Sub cut injection administered. Queue sitting on the nurses lap. 15mins pass and I look in on the now subdued 'Ted' looking rather sorry for himself.....and then it starts.


Oh I do love my job..... (if you have a weak stomach don't read the next line)


It's time for me to don some gloves and start the delightful task of sifting through his sick.......

Now lets see what we find in 'Teds' stomach contents:

- Lots of food, I know this is a Labrador but seriously owner you feed your dog an awful lot, I know because I'm having to sort through it all.

- A stone.... yes that's right audience, a fully fledged rather large stone that I have no doubt would have caused a blockage further down the line, small mercies.

- A pigs ear....

- And a human medicine wrapper.....


However by this point the tablets had well and truly dissolved. The owner declined fluids, and opted for active charcoal. Luckily being a Labrador who apparently eats anything, activated charcoal mixed with dog food was no problem for this mutt. A discharge appointment was made and peace restored.



Notes:


Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Diclofenac, Naproxen- Can all be toxic and potentially fatal to small animals.


Even NSAIDs that are intended for animal use can be toxic if given at incorrect dosages. So please call your vets if your pet get hold of too many tablets.



No comments:

Post a Comment